PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mosquito HT-E
Thread: Mosquito HT-E
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2003, 13:22
BeauMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Duxford Mosquito which I think Chris is referring to is indeed The Fighter Collection's example. She is TV959, and is in the queue for restoration to airworthiness.

There have been various concerns raised about the feasibility of this, as her main spar was sawn through just outboard of the starboard nacelle to allow her to be mounted against an internal wall of the Imperial War Museum at Lambeth. This has prompted some discussion in the past over whether or not the wing would have to be re-sparred, but as I understand it, the cut has been inspected during the least few years and estimates are that it can feasibly be repaired to airworthy standard without the need for a full re-sparring.

TFC obviously have a number of projects on the go at the moment (Beaufighter, P51C, Sea Fury, Gladiator, etc), but I've heard the tentative suggestion bandied around that she could potentially be flying again within 2-3 years of the start of a restoration to fly.

Visitors to The Fighter Collection hangar can see the wing standing on it's leading edge in the north-east corner of the hangar, and I understand the rest of the aeroplane is held in storage elsewhere on the airfield, which suggests that we're unlikely to see work on TV959 start in the near future. Hope this helps.