PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ARV SUPER 2
Thread: ARV SUPER 2
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2012, 11:45
sooty3694

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hewland engine was a nightmare. Designing a new airframe and fitting a new and untested engine was a bold move, and with the benefit of hindsight one that proved to be a mistake. I have only flown the aircraft with the Hewland engine, but with this aside I can add this.

From a pilot's perspective the ARV Super 2 is an excellent little airplane with beautifully harmonized and very effective controls. In pitch the control deflection is perhaps a little too light and effective, but this only caused initial problems with those more familiar with, or transitioning from, the Cessna 150 series. From a teaching perspective the aircraft demonstrates everything the syllabus calls for, and in many respects it shares the best characteristics of the Tiger Moth - it will spin if mishandled (very well actually) and it does require turns to be properly coordinated. To some this may seem to be a disadvantage, but if the objective is to teach students to fly properly from the get go, I consider it to be an advantage. (Bye the way, the aircraft responds perfectly to standard spin recovery).

For cross country training one needs to balance the range, which is payload limited, against the excellent view that the student is afforded. From a safety perspective this latter attribute is a massive advantage over the Cessna.

As mentioned by another poster the aircraft does not have toe brakes. This is a disadvantage, but not one that should discount acquisition. One simply needs to learn to close the throttle before applying the hand brake, which is done with the right hand. Actually the disk brakes are extremely effective, and will counter full power when stationary, but it is something that does require getting used to....a few hours should do it.

With the Hewland engine fitted the take off performance was reasonable, but on wet grass one needs to be aware that the slim main wheels are more likely to sink into the surface. Regarding landing, and with a bit of experience, you can drop the ARV onto a tea towel and stop. Getting into a strip however does not necessarily mean that you can get out - I know from experience.

Having dismantled one I can attest to the fact that it is not quite as simple as one may think. Do not count on this as an advantage. The aircraft was not designed to be de-rigged like a glider.

As a group aircraft I would say yes, you will have a LOT of fun, provided that; You don't have the Hewland engine fitted, you have a minimum of 600 metres if grass and you aren't planning on long range trips.

PM me if you want to know more.