PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thick passenger comments
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2012, 22:09
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for future reference, aircraft can take off in fog; depends on what, where and what with, company rules etc. Having a diversion to go to is important.

I was taught zero visibilty take-offs in the early 1960s, using an old-fashioned instrument called a Directional Gyro to maintain the heading before and after lift-off. As soon as the wheels were off, the pilot went into normal instrument flight mode to climb to cruise height, navigate etc.

This was taught in something called Link Trainer, a crude and simple form of early simulator, and practised in a real aircraft with a "hood" that prevented the pilot looking outside the aircraft. There was an instructor/safety pilot with the student.

As far as I am aware public transport aircraft are permitted to execute zero visibility takeoffs, subject to a number of conditions.

So your passenger was not so thick. And pboyall has pointed that in WWII there was an effective way to disperse fog over and around a runway. My Dad used it in his bomber. He said it focused his mind on keeping straight on the roll out between the two lines of raging petrol flares.

Last edited by Capot; 27th Aug 2012 at 22:11.