PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SkyDemon for iPad
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2012, 10:48
Flylogical

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jep e-charts pricing etc

PiperArcher, you are welcome.

For what it's worth, although expensive, in my opinion the Jep TC charts on the iPad are well worth it in terms of minimising hassle -- especially with the updates. That works very smoothly on the iPad. I've never had a problem.

I also keep a PC version of JeppView up-to-date (all included in the price, at least that's something to celebrate!). I use this in my office for printing-off fully up-to-date physical charts (using the excellent Bullzip PDF print driver on Windows) as backup.

As a PPL+IMC Rating, I also only do a bit of IMC here an there. But the Jepp charts are so much better than the UK AIP equivalent, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Finally, I used to subscribe to the AERAD paper charts (my IMC instructor preferred them over Jep). However, the double bound volumes were extremely heavy and bulky, and moreover, the updates were a total hassle (stuffing paper binders every month etc). Before cancelling AERAD and subscribing to Jep e-charts, I enquired about e-charts from AERAD (apparently they were in the process of developing such for iPad ??) - even got the "key" person on the phone a couple of times. Alas, nothing ever came of it. So, I flipped to Jep e-charts. Happy ever since. I also subscribe to the VFR e-charts for UK from Jep. They do the job, too (though I still keep my trusty AFE VFR Flight Guide close to hand -- surprisingly, still easier to use in the cockpit than having to lookup an airfield via Jep on IPad)....

Last edited by Flylogical; 17th Aug 2012 at 10:55.