PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sad story about a high and mighty check airman
Old 5th Aug 2012, 09:17
justanotherflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sitting on an interview panel for a fully-sponsored ab-initio airline training program a few years ago, I inexcusably succumbed to groupthink fuelled by one very senior bullying 'skygod', in adding my casting vote against a perfectly sound, indeed truly excellent candidate.

I'll never forget the look of sadness in her eyes as she took the news on board, quietly gathered her things and left the room. To my immediate discomfort and regret she even said "thank you all for the opportunity".

I sought her out in the lobby to offer some words of consolation, try again on the next round, blah, blah... She bit her lip and said I can't, my birthday's next week, I'll be past the age cut off, it was my one chance, i could never afford the training. She gave me a tearful smile, a ladylike goodbye, and headed off.

While I ruefully pondered having wrecked this kid's dream of flight, I could hear the skygod's laughter coming down the corridor, chortling no doubt at one of his own jokes before the largely fawning group.

"Never f****** again", I promised myself.