PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My first aircraft - the ferrying of my old Aero Commander twin back to California.
Old 15th Jul 2012, 15:43
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again.

Annual is in Sept. No squawks, it's probably around $4000 (£2600). Last year it was $7000 (£4500), but then they found some things. This year there's already talk of changing some of the fuel lines as they look a bit ragged, so it's probably going to be closer to the higher number...

But there literally is no ceiling when we're talking airplanes. The paint job is in a terrible state, really needs to be addressed. Cheapest quote I got was for $18K!!! No way I can do that. I'll have to strip her ($6K) and polish her myself with a toothbrush. Or fly her down to Mexico and have it done there.

New interior? Minimum of $5K. New panel? The sky's the limit. In fact, I had great plans to swap my old giant WWII-era AI for something sleek and new when it started tumbling and giving me troubles. Until I checked the prices, that is. Then suddenly an O/H price at $595 look like the best deal ever had. Besides, those old military spec AI's work well. They were made at a time "when America was great" as he put it. He has a point. No need to chase the newest all the time.

The above costs are often what you have great hopes and plans to do when you're a new owner, but the reality is that most of your money gets funnelled in to maintenance and unless you have deep pockets, the cosmetic stuff will suffer. One day, right?

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 15th Jul 2012 at 16:03.