PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2012, 20:32
Lonewolf_50

Received 421 Likes on 263 Posts
SAS, having done some sim instructing my self, in the SH-2 and the SH-60, I cannot go back and give you all of the debriefing sheets from all of the events I ran,
but
I do recall more than a few "surprise" dual engine failures, or TRLOS (simulated in the 60 sim by losing the whole tail section aft of the IGB) that now and again got the "red screen of death" to appear in unannounced autorotation, and partial autorotation, scenarios. A surprise need to auto is a game of "behind the aircraft, how fast can you catch up" if there ever was one.

Newer sims are often more "like" the aircraft, but of course there are always "simisms" that you have to account for.

"Think what you want about the Osprey in operations it is fit for....but remember it was sold as being the answer to every mission conceivable which it plainly is not and never was."

Respectfully, no, you are making an incorrect assessment there.
V-22 was not intended to undertake the heavy lift mission.
I cannot understand where you get the idea that it was sold to meet heavy lift mission requirements.

CH-53E (CH-53K in a few years), are the Heavy Lifters, all juggling and shell games in re the CH-53D considered.

EDIT: A few years back, I had to become passing familiar with "operational maneuver from the sea" as a doctrinal template. The phasing of bringing assets ashore to the fight needed heavy lift for certain critical tasks and medium lift for most other tasks. Phrogs, at the time, were the medium lift workhorse. What V-22 does for medium lift is pretty good.

I don't know if that buzzword has any currency, since the past ten years have seen more of other sorts of operations, but the basics probably still apply, and are related to your "OTH" template.