PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs for non-EU pilots
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 00:37
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Turkish friends, and I loved my 48 hours in Istanbul in 2005!

It is not really about prejudice either, of course I know there are young modern people, who probably want to adapt the "western lifestyle", which I can understand!

And as "aozc" pointed out, besides the football, there is not to much sunny stuff in the UK, unless you have a fortune to spend! Life is expensive, and the women are mostly tacky!

The issues with Turkey vs western europe, are not minor differences, they are major differences! People who come to west Europe, and adapt, is fine, just as I would adapt if I went to live in Dubai! However the majority will not adapt, from experience we know this!

EU already suffering from huge unemployment, it would be economical suicide to allow Turkey to join the EU within the next decade or two!

Even if they did join, as I doubt very much they will do, it will take another 5- 10 years before EASA regulations / standards would be adopted in Turkey, these things do not change overnight!

Regarding the religion issues, the truth is peoples personal views, do not favour Turkey on this issue either!
However from the previous negotiations I have read that it has been clear from the outset that there would be no freedom of movement of labour for Turkish citizens within the EU. If and when Turkey joins current restrictions would remain in place.

(From BBC website)
"However, it failed to ratify the customs union and its ports and airports remain closed to Cypriot traffic. The EU responded, in December 2006, by freezing accession talks in eight policy areas.

In December 2009 EU governments reaffirmed the freeze, saying it would "have a continuous effect on the overall progress in the negotiations".

"Turkey has not made progress towards normalisation of its relations with the Republic of Cyprus," they said, calling for progress "without further delay".

So far only 13 of the 33 areas of negotiation - called "chapters" - have been opened.

Turkey's EU negotiations have been overshadowed by concerns about freedom of speech and democracy in Turkey, treatment of religious minorities, women's and children's rights, civilian control of the military and the Cyprus tensions.

The European Commission has called on Turkey to strengthen democracy and human rights, underlining the need for deeper judicial reform."

There probably will be and should be a trade agreement in my opinion, but I doubt free movement of labour will come now for a long long time.

But believe me, you are not missing to much, I would rather go and see other continents, and embrace their cultures! You welcome to come and do winter ops at -30 deg Celsius if you wish In the North of Europe!