PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossing FIR Boundary
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:01
FlyDirect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossing FIR Boundary

As a new PPL I am looking forward to the challenge of international flying in Europe. I have a couple of questions though with regards to crossing FIR boundaries.

I know that I have to include the EET for the FIR crossing in my flight plan and I know that I have to make a radio call prior to crossing the boundary. My questions are as follows;

1. If I arrive at the FIR boundary before or after my EET, do I need to do anything or notify anyone or is the fact that this is an "estimated" time enough to cover the fact that it may not be entirely accurate?

2. If I am flying in uncontrolled airspace at the time I cross the the FIR boundary, how do I know who I should contact? I have read on some other posts that if in uncontrolled airspace it may not be necessary to contact anyone but I would assume it is better to do so anyway. Should it just be the nearest ATC?

3. Can someone please provide an example of what the R/T exchange might be like for an FIR crossing. I have found loads of references to the fact that I must notify when crossing the FIR but I can't find any example of what I should state in the call.

Thanks for the help