PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 4
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2012, 02:26
brissypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, taking on these big players in the UK or EU Courts is hopeless unless you have very deep pockets.
2close,

You are quite correct - this fight is almost impossible to win without very deep pockets. Personally, myself and three other very experienced Aussie pilots in the last six months have spent over $40,000 on legal costs. We are all protanopes working in airlines as First Officers, however are unable to obtain commands as our medicals are restricted only allowing us to exercise priveleges up to CPL level (and not to ATPL level). Apparently we're safe to fly from the RHS, but not from the LHS, despite the fact that we all pass exactly the same aircraft and simulator checks as Captains.

The authorities love putting forward arguments like the PAPI & the Tallahassee accident. They fail to recognise though that in this instance there were two other colour normal pilots on board who also were unaware that the aircraft was below the approach path. There is considerable evidence to suggest that the PAPI itself was a contributing factor, rather than the fault of any of the pilots. As a protanope, I fly PAPI's every day (& night...) without any issue whatsoever.

The good news is that our legal advice is very positive about our chances of winning, the bad news is that the costs are expected to be another $100,000!

Two years ago I did an Ishihara 24 test and passed this test.
Now last week I took this Ishihara 24 test again (but at another AME) and I failed!
Monty1977, Scottish.CPL,

Tests like the Isihara plate test or the CAD prove absolutely nothing aside from the fact that we suffer from CVD.... which we already know anyway! I don't know about you, but I've never opened up an Isihara booklet while I've been flying, nor have I ever seen anything that resembles a CAD. They are simply colour vision tests which have no relevance on our ability to fly an aircraft safely. While ever we continue to debate tests such as these, we are not dealing with the root issue...

Battling any authority, whether it's CASA, the FAA or the European authorities is not going to be an easy task. That's exactly why CVDPA was formed though so that we can all unite and face this monumental challenge together. With between 8-10% of all males suffering from CVD, there must be many thousands of pilots worldwide who are being discriminated against in some form or another. If just 500 hundred of those pilots contributed $1000 each, then we'd have raised $500k! Certainly enough to fund some significant legal challenges...

Let's start all working together through CVDPA so that we can begin this long journey and see these changes through!