PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair and Age (2012)
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2012, 14:21
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No there are no "official" limits with Ryanair. Having tested the system, and knowing many pilots working for Ryanair it is quite clear what is going on.

First "Torque Tonight", you don't state if those "older" are Cadets or experience FO's.

From what I have gathered, they are doing it in the way, that they every now and again take one guy "older" - a bit like the lottery, just to make sure their paperwork looks good, and that they are not discriminating.

I did the "test", sent in 2 applications with CAE with several months gap, on one I did a Typo, easy to do as it is a drop down box, instead of DOB 69, I put 79, within 5 days I had a reply from CAE to send my CV to them! Exactly the same as "ALL THE GUYS I KNEW" from my flight school got, they all got this response with 5 to 15 days from submitting their application. They ALL got called to interview.

(my first application made 3 - 4 months earlier NEVER got a response)

Now maybe my CV was bad? All first series passes, top ATPL scores, and loads of experience, I know some of the other guys, no offence, but they partial IR, low ATPL average scores, and even had some fails on their ATPL's, they all got interview, not all of them got offered a job, but most of them did!

The cut-off is not 30 officially, and it might be slightly higher, but there is a cut off where they prefer not to offer jobs, due to age.

Now the logic is twisted on this, because they way it is now, pilots will come and go fast with companies such as RYR, as they go to better jobs!

Haven given an older pilot a chance, options would have been less, and they could maybe had a more stabile pool of pilots, but than again, RYR also make money by training pilots, so money talks again