PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has your UK CAA I/R lapsed by more than 7/6/3 years?
Old 5th Jun 2012, 02:41
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
8che - It doesn't to me either. It suggests to me that the rating only has to be current to exercise the right. The clincher comes to when converting from a national licence or JAR licence to an EASA one - you have to have a relevant current rating. It should be the case that someone who wants to convert and has a current rating on a foreign licence therefore can demonstrate they have the exerience and skill to hold the licence should be able to. Once you have it, you can let it lapse or keep it going on your foreign rating.

This is my (I like to think common sense) interpretation. However, you have to remember that we are dealing with the UK CAA here who don't employ common sense, have a history of making arbitary and inconsistant rulings, and as far as the new regs are concerned, don't seem to know their @rse from their elbow.

All I can do is quote CAP804 and offer my interpretation. I have asked the CAA for theirs, but haven't yet had a reply. In previous dealings and correspondence, they have just quoted the regs (usually with the addition "read LASORS, it's all in there") and pilots have had to wait to find out if they were successful with their application by return post. This time it's different, because they are going to have to follow EASA policy with little power to interpret the new FCL.