PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS Question..Please help
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 16:49
FlightPathOBN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
italia,

I only work with commercial ac, so I am not aware of the requirements for private ac.

Given the technical and other requirements, IFR with WAAS seems to be quite an adventure for a private ac. Just as the RAIM predictions must be checked, so must the WAAS predictions, and the procedure must be in your nav database to select. (looks like Canada gets a buy on this one!)
FAA Real time plots

LPV 200 requires a level of VAL and VPL accuracy of less than 35m. While the predicted accuracy of the stations is around 12 to 15m, the real time accuracy of the receiver on the ac is almost always more than 35m.
There is also a significant difference between the potential and actual WAAS service.
Autoland requires maximums of 12m, so the VAL of 35m, with the inability of WAAS to guarantee actual vertical error performance, autocoupling is restricted to altitudes above 200 feet in the LPV 200 rules.

Other notes:

I am curious in reading through the thread, about the RAIM requirement or indication on the ac. The pilot is required to verify RAIM prior to departure, at least at midpoint of en-route, and before approach before considering the procedure, or which procedure to use.
I am wondering what is checked or how this is accomplished?

Last edited by FlightPathOBN; 29th May 2012 at 17:14.