PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 37.5 degree angle of bank, one engine out, gear down and at 500 feet
Old 20th May 2012, 23:57
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well AF447 did everything wrong and everybody died. These guys did what they had to do in their opinion and everybody is ok. Sometimes sop doesn't work, remember AA DC10 crash at ORD, they followed AA sop and see what happened. These guys got it back on the ground quickly because they didn't worry about the checklist, they got it on the ground safely. Good for them. Depending on the circumstances, I might have done the same thing. I don't know the details.

TGU is one of the most dangerous airports in the world, #2, and the other airport in the mountains jets can't land at. If with all the hundreds of turkey buzzards in the valley I lost both engines of my 757 I had only one way to survive and that was stand it on a wing and land downwind otherwise you went into the hills with no chance of survival. No Hudson river there. Sometimes the pilots can handle the situation best by their talent and not just doing sop procedures. I like to follow SOP but sometimes I just can't.