PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 16th May 2012, 04:13
baswell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$hit doesn't just happen, some ar$eholes cause it!
True! But you need to keep in mind things happen for reasons both beyond the control of the incumbent (i.e.: the best they can do is make the best of a bad situation like the GFC) or are the result of a path set by those before them.

I cringe when I hear Labour taking credit for lowering interest rates, as if no other country in the world had to lower them in the same period because of the GFC. You really think rates falling that quick after an election is your doing?

At the same time, it is very easy for the opposition to say their handling would be better as they will never be proven wrong; by the time they get to make their changes, the world has moved on and what works then may have been counter productive 3 years ago. Or more likely, they will have a new policy for the current situation.

People on both sides are always really good at producing spin around this.

That said: I still think the level of taxation and government services in Australia is at the right level. Not too much (Sweden) not too little (US). And I am willing to bet the Libs would keep it at the same level, just pushing collecting and spending to slightly different sources and beneficiaries. The main problem is being efficient when spending the money. But remember that in countries as in business: you gotta spend money to make money.