PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 13:37
peter we

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I recall clearly that even earlier on there where serious doubts about the B versions frontwheel rigidity to withstand the substantial harder loads when used with a (up to 13°)ski-jump ramp.
i don't think there is any problem with the strength of the frontwheel.

IIRC up until today it still needs to launch from such a ramp, be it as a test on land or on sea on an existing platform, let alone @ MTOW.
Have they even started serious testing with the ramp? certainly most hundreds of flights have NOT been with it.

There still remains the very likely possibility that a beefed up front gear is necessary , eating even further in the already very narrow weight margins, more specifically forward of the CoG
Got a link?

We all know that if we want the F-35B to act as an EXTREMELY expensive tanker, we have to pay the bill for all the research, development, conversion etc. Has anyone considered how much this would cost and would it even be viable?
Israel is going to be investigating this. I doubt its going to be necessary with the STOL removing the emergency requirement for tanking. If Israel helps pay for drop tanks then range probably won't be much of an issue either. Then long deck and ski ramp should give plenty of extra weight capacity to carry more fuel and whatever else.

Last edited by peter we; 14th May 2012 at 13:43.