PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight Crash in Scotland - 2 Fatalities
Old 14th May 2012, 10:16
jonkil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all my sincere condolences to the deceased families.
As a microlight pilot myself I can state that Scottish info are one of the most helpful and nicest FIS one can talk to. As a regular pilot from Ireland crossing to the mainland UK I have no trouble talking to them at all, from relatively low altitudes too.
The question of use of radios is well aired and discussed, personally I think that students should be taught the proper protocol, I went and sat the full RT course and exam after getting my license and it has been singularly the most useful thing I did. Knowing what "not to say" and getting the concise nature of your call across is so important.... saying that, not holding a RT qualification should not hinder anyone from using ATC services.... not withstanding any of the above I dont believe it would have made a jot of difference regarding this tragic accident. I knew one of the deceased, he was/is a gentleman, a vastly experienced pilot, knew how to fly his aircraft and would have done everything possible, so shall we all wait for the report when it comes out before making judgment.
The fact that we fly microlights makes no difference whatsoever, when I obtained my license years ago, an old guy, flying for many years with many hours told me..... when you have flew a thousand hours you will know that you are still learning...... that is so true and it reinforces that "but for the grace of God go we".
Thankfully I have reached the 1000+ hours and indeed I am still learning, long may it continue.

Jon