PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 08:32
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backwards,

Thanks for your points and happy to respond.

The demise of the Shar was driven by lack of funds sure enough - but that in turn was driven by massive cost increases for the GR9 upgrade (over four fold, due to attempts in MoD to get it done through the back door using unrealistic cost estimates). I have posted before that the RN hierarchy's decision to support the RAF savings measure to can SHAR was, in my view, a huge error. In any case, they most certainly weren't 'happy'.

The RN had real challenges in manning JFH, and in other posts I've pointed out that the RAF had a more professional and thorough approach to manning, training and the role of the OCU. That was helping address those issues. But I have hard information that the RN was ready and able to stand up the second front line unit.

For the record, the reason it didn't stand up was an eleventh hour (very nearly literally at the last minute) decision by RAF senior officers to veto formation of the unit without RN QFIs being appointed to it. They knew full well that generating 'one or two' QFIs at such short notice was an impossibility.

I absolutely accept that the UK could not, and cannot, 'do everything'. I also absolutely accept that there was a huge focus on Afghan ops. But the RAF had taken on responsibility for maritime air, which was a capability declared to the UK Government and to NATO. If the RAF could not maintain the two areas, the honest thing to do was to go to the MoD and say 'JFH needs to can ship ops for period x', and get that agreed and approved. That didn't happen.

I'm really sorry if you think I wear a tinfoil hat. I'm really, really sorry if you think I'd start pinning a war on the RAF. I always take care to pay tribute to the RAF's professional and effective land based air operations, especially the people involved.

Best Regards as ever to all those of all cloths doing the job,

Engines