PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 23:28
gusatstol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KIUNGA

Before it was upgraded it had a 48 hour 2 inches of rain limit, with Avril Croft [chief justice’s daughter, later murdered on her yacht.]as NPP and all the grog on so board they kept quiet about the storm that had dropped 4 ˝ inches since I left Moresby. It was like landing in a tunnel with the mud and water thrown up from the wheels.

On 02/04/63 I was told the Star Mountain Patrol was unsure of their position and was out of food. The TAA pilot doing their drop had had a breakdown trying to resupply them and it was now my problem. On 03/04/63 I flew from PY to Kiunga via Daru ending back at Daru 6.45hrs. 04/03/63 back to Kiunga to do the initial landing [also fun because there was a sprig of grass every three feet on the mud and when I wanted to leave the wheels had sunk into the mud and we require many natives to move us.] at Nomad River 3.05hrs. 05/03/63KIU-STAR MOUNTAINS-KIU 1.05hrs. This was difficult because the map was “here be Dragons” and after tooling around under cloud in mountains, valleys etc I also was unsure of my position, the communication left something to be desired as they called Kiunga on backpack radio, who called Port Moresby on Gov radio, who called DCA on phone, who called me on HF to say that the patrol had heard me 20 minutes before. I did 14.40hrs in the next three days before finding them and returning to Moresby. One of the flights I was so relieved to find Kiunga the I forgot to call on the ground, this lead to the embarrassment one and a half hours later calling departure to hear “All aircraft, all aircraft, all aircraft, cancel SAR for mike Juliet foxtrot.” DCA dictated my reply to the 225 so it went away. I later heard the PO onboard for the drop put in a formal complaint that got as far as the DC in Daru about my dangerous flying during the drop.

Based in Daru with all the bored tradies I ran a scheme. I rented the aircraft at charter rates and charged 30 shillings each for a wide circuit and some low flying over the mainland. I had people not getting out wanting another flight and made a week’s wages in one morning. No one mentioned this back at Moresby so I assume it was allowed.

Last edited by gusatstol; 11th May 2012 at 05:22.