PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude = speed control/power = pitch
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 08:47
chipmeisterc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not arrogance at all, it's completely subjective, some methods work for some, some for others.

I'm not saying pitch doesn't control speed, it does. But to me everything is backwards, there's a reason why there's an elevator on the plane to control pitch, it worked for me perfectly on all approaches/landings so far except for today when I tried the opposite technique....

I'm not sure if they teach the same technique, I haven't landed with the other instructor, he was on my first lesson and I wasn't taking much no on the landing as to what he was doing.
EGKB What are you going to do then when you are short final and a little high and fast, pitch the nose down at the ground and pull the throttle to idle? In a Piper or Cessna you can be pretty sure that isn't going to get you down any time fast.

Conversly pitching up away from the runway ( yep its counter intuitive ) to get your speed under control, and reducing the throttle to idle to increase your rate of decent and you will start coming down pretty sharpish.
..Remember also that pitching up is also going to increase your AoA which is going to also create more drag and help slow you down. Pitching down is going to decrease your AoA.

My advise, don't presume that you know better than your instructor, and don't give up on this technique just because its counter intuitive...are you going to do this with all other elements in the syllabus as well? Pitching for speed will give you a much greater control of your approach speed and save you endless balloons / floats down the runway.

Your elevator is your AOA control not your pitch control.