PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Airport 'may not cope during Olympics'
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:08
GrahamO

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
/me inserts tongue in cheek firmly

I would be happy with that Graham IF..

Those that want it PAY for it, those that don't, don't.
Thats okay, but we live in a democracy where such decisions are not down to individuals opting out of everything they don't want. For example, your pension and healthcare is almost certainly funded by others that would rather not fund you and let you die early and in pain. You cannot have it both ways. If it was people only paying for things they want, I doubt much of the airline industry would even exist and most posters would be out of a job.

Those that don't want don't get inconvenienced by it.
Nowhere in the world works like that. Every person on the road behind you is being inconvenienced by your presence on the road, and I doubt you consider the inconvenience you present to everyone else around. If only you stayed at home, everyone else would be much better off ? Hoe self-important can one person come across when they expect everybody else to not 'inconvenience' them but will of course expect all the social norms to apply to everyone else.

It's not a case of 'getting a life', it's case of immense selfishness and inconsideration for those that don't want it.
Not at all - its an overweening self entitlement attitude of folks who like to pay and put up with the things they like and want and feel offended if anyone else wants the same, should it not suit them.

Really, it is a case of getting a sense of perspective of your own importance to the world and moderate your expectations.

The anti-olympics lot are a small, irrelevant minority, and as such their inconvenience is of no relevance in a civilised, democratic society. And if Heathrow cannot cope, its because folks don't want to pay a reasonable price to fund the throughput they want. Of course they pay a reasonable price but I suspect ,ost of the money goes on final salary pensions rather than funding direct front line staff salaries.

(thats my grumpy minority viewpoint to which I am resigned to accepting will not be changed)