PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Airport 'may not cope during Olympics'
Old 1st May 2012, 20:41
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Angry

TS + others.

YOU ARE CORRECT!!!
At the risk of this thread now going to JB ...

If my work permitted, I would be out of the country for the whole period and find the tiniest possible island to sit on.

The politicians went for it because they knew that they would all be out of the game by the time the games happened. They had win-win. They 'won' because they supported the bid and then because they got the games. Yet, ANYONE and EVERYONE knew that the money would evaporate into the back pockets of the big boys and the wide boys. The history of the Olympics since 1945 is clearly visible.

I could rant about this for ages simply because it was damm stupid arrogance to get the country into this. Especially when a property and financial crash was already overdue at the time of the bid. So it was bound to have popped at the wrong moment and it did.

And DON'T get me started on that bl@@dy word 'legacy' because the legacy is debt. I lived in the Munich Olympic village for six months in 1999/2000 and could see how amazingly far forward they were in their thinking. They were planning in the late 1960s and I'll bet the things that are left behind in East London are not as good.

Actually, there's no chance of this thread going to JB - because TS is on our side.