PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2012, 19:41
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backwards/ Widger,

Let's not forget that the supervision of flying is provided by FAA on the platforms mentioned above. JFH got away with being provided with a Cdr (Air) and Cdr (Air Engineering) who relied on type specific advice from the embarked unit. Ocean had an aviator in command and a JHC Cdr (Air) for Ellamy. AAC embarked a SO1 'duty holder'. For a two line programme.

This simply won't wash with a CV deck.

The AAC embarkation is a perfect example of how a team of dedicated individuals (right down to Apache Maritime Strike arm patches) got themselves into the correct shape to put a pair of aircraft in harm's way. If you read their OC's response to being awarded a QCVS you will see that it was no short term thing. It took a real effort. Without breaking a sweat, I can think of at least one evening when one of the aircraft almost went swimming and there were issues with spotting and armament that the squadron and ship's team worked through.

So in summary. If you have a team that is keen as mustard on both sides of the fence and are prepared to work your nuts off for quite a long time to provide a small scale flying programme you can make it work.

If you want an integrated capability that's ready at the drop of a hat in an assured manner you need investment and supervision.

I for one would rather we ditched the ridiculous thinking that Joint means sharing everything and went for a Joint which brought our strengths together. RN should man, maintain and command the rebranded Carrier Combat Aircraft offering them up to the ACC in time of war just like the USN does. The RAF should do the same for the Stealthy Strike Aircraft. But we should combine the support facilities and co-locate the base. They could even train together just in case.

But serving on the wrong services' squadrons, swapping jets, reporting on other services' officers, RN unable to effect its own squadron's programme, Naval squadron with embarked jets on a RN CVS ordered to stop flying by High Wycombe? All wrong in my opinion.

But I fear a previous poster is correct. If you own the jets..you hold every ace in the pack.