PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2012, 18:57
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am trying to build on what is (was) known at the time. The AD warned specifically of aftward axial transit of a shaft, causing damage to the a/c, and those on the ground (sic). The wear, specific to the AD, was located at the splines forward of the IPT (at the other end of its shaft), and reporting of the initilal exam of the engne contents stated "Rigid Couling Failure". Rigid coupling failure was reported as the cause, not the result. The "Burst" was an artifact of the failure of the Bell, (Drive Arm), not the cause of the uncontained failure. Now it's possible to chiicken/egg this, but I am aware of the Rigid couple demise as the cause of the problem, and the couple disintegrated due, What? I don't think the couple would fail from heat, nor vibration alone. I also sense that the consensus here is that the wheel failed "first". i think that is wrong, from a read of the report. It is also inconsistent from the previous failure, (Miami), where the wheel failed from migration, not oil fire. imo.

For instance, couldn't the N2 spool down have been caused by the contact with the web? The actual friction and resistance slowing the shaft and puddling the "false bearing"? This while the shaft/turbine maintained its integrity, until the rigid coupling lost the Wheel?

your thoughts?

Last edited by Lyman; 25th Apr 2012 at 19:18.