PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands war and the Fairey Gannet
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2012, 11:58
Heave Ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an element of truth to the first post, but not from an ASW aspect (ASW Gannets were withdrawn early 1960s and had been superseded by various rotary's by the early '80s).
The R.Navy was interested in the idea of being able to operate a couple of Gannet AEWs as airborne early warning for fast and low attackers against the fleet off the Falklands, some sources suggest that some of the losses, such as HMS Sheffield, wouldn't have happened had the type been available.
Four Gannets were kept in LTS at Culdrose during that period, that is long term storage with the option to make serviceable at short notice, two of the Gannets, AEW.3s XL482 and XL500 would have been fit for the job, the other two were T.5 trainers, XG888 and XT752. My understanding is that the AN/APS-20F radar equipment in the AEWs had indeed been removed at that point for use with 8 Sqn Shackletons.
I don't really know why the idea failed, but assume due to lack of any secure land base within range to operate from, and that the carriers were unable to support the type due to lack of catapult and arrester equipment and other mods.

The two Gannets pictured at Yeovilton, T.2 XA508 and T.5 XG883 weren't in any state to be made airworthy, and indeed not versions considered useful for operations.

Of the four Gannets in LTS, all had a happy and long life with three flying again, XL500 from Culdrose with Dowty Rotol, while XL482 was flown across to the States to be used by Hamilton Standard.
XL500, XG888, & XT752 moved from LTS at Culdrose to storage at Lee-on-Solent c'85, before being disposed of c'95.
Of course XT752 was recently airworthy in the States, and as with XL500 (which I'm involved with now), is currently being worked on to return to the air.
XG888 was kept in very good condition and was taken by sea to Australia for display at Nowra, seem to remember mention of this one being made airworthy again at some point, but came to nothing.

Another twist to AN/APS-20 story, I was contacted a while back by someone who was sent to St Mawgan to investigate the use of the radar out of Shackleton WL795 which was being considered for ground use on the Falklands.

ZC, The Gannet AS.1 & T.2 was certainly RATOG capable for which I would assume clearance trials were held, but I've never seen reference to them or service use, hopefully someone here will know more?