PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air controller during emergency landing: 'I know that's BS'
Old 18th Apr 2012, 18:41
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
dns

I'm actually an FAA qualified pilot, trained in the US...
If you're an FAA-trained pilot, then you are supposed to be familiar with not only FAA phraseology but also with the Regs, including those that pertain to uncontrolled field ops. So it's while it's troubling in itself that you don't know (or refuse to accept) this;

FAA Airmans Information Manual, Pilot/Controller Glossary: "EMERGENCY− A distress or an urgency condition'',
...it's particularily worrisome considering this fundamental FAA Regulation..

Sec. 91.113 — Right-of-way rules: Except water operations.

(c) In distress. An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all other air traffic

I'm wondering how you....as a U.S.-trained pilot... could adhere to the above regulation and yield the right-of-way to an aircraft in distress if you don't know (or refuse to believe) that another pilot declaring "Emergency" is in fact one? At an uncontrolled airport with no controller to direct your actions, are you going to refuse to yield to an aircraft who's pilot has declared "Emergency" instead of using the phrase "Mayday, mayday, mayday"? Will you ignore FAA-approved phraseology and break an FAA regulation that is the starting point for Right-of-way rules and wind up getting in the way, making his/her bad situation worse?

In the U.S., if you choose to transmit "Mayday" other pilots will respect it. As a U.S. pilot in U.S. airspace, however, it's also imcumbent upon you to respect an "Emergency" transmission as one coming from an aircraft in distress, and respond accordingly.