PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2012, 23:01
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant help wondering if the snn based Irish Aviation Authority is out of control with their acutely rigid rules for this, that and the next thing at our airports. You see, I am sure the IAA bigwigs know very well their acute and rigid rules are bound to impinge far more on Cork Airport than snn which is much, much bigger and has better facilites etc.

Has anyone easy access to up to date Notams as regards bizjet parking at Cork Airport? There is a rumor doing the rounds locally that Gulfstream V size aircraft are no longer allowed to park on Cork's Stands 1 through to 4. I dont know how true this is: as I say, it is as a result of a rumor heard. Apparently, large bizjets can park on Cork's Stand 5 but the story goes that bizjet parking cannot mix with airliner parking; yet on the other hand, the rumor goes that bizjets cannot either park at Cork's higher numbered stands, shall we say, Stands 14 to 20 on the grounds that again they would be mixing with airliner parking. Sounds like classic Catch 22 if this is the case.

If there is any substance to the above it is plain that Cork will be compromised and the likes of snn would gain. Also, if it is as rumored it would indicate to me that the IAA may be out of control and gone power mad and without urgent political intervention locally in Cork things will only get worse for Cork and more corporate and indeed general aviation movements will be presented with a more welcoming option in landing at snn?

There is yet another rumor abound that Cork ATC, which is again controlled by the Irish Aviation Authority, will allow only two light aircraft in the circuit at Cork for training. Is there any truth to this? If so, who does Cork ATC and the IAA think their kidding? Are they professionals or not capable of doing a proper day's work like the rest of us do and controlling more than two light aircraft in a circuit does not sound too arduous to me, or am I missing something obvious here as to why it is not possible to have, say, three aircraft doing circuits and bumps?

In light of all of the above I would again pose the question put forward a little earlier in this thread - does anyone know the circumstances of the KLM755 flight on 29th March, 2012 that diverted to snn? It has been reported elsewhere that this flight operated by Boeing 777-206ER, PH-BQN had wanted to divert to Cork with a sick passenger but somehow later ended up diverting instead to snn. It is noteworthy that the Clare Herald did a sizeable feature on the story inclusive of a photo thereby putting snn in a good light in terms of good will and publicity. Cork would sorely have done with some of this kind of good will and publicity in promoting what local facilities Cork has to offer - afterall, the Aircraft Classification Numbers for the 747-400 and MD-11 are both higher than the 777-200.

Incidentally, it is to be noted that snn received another KLM 777-200 diversion visitor today, Sunday, 15th April, 2012.