PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sad story about a high and mighty check airman
Old 15th Apr 2012, 01:16
gerago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. If I may opined, should you ask him what such TRE who now have regretful reflection he would certainly tell that guy to commit harakiri.
Whoa, alanusa...harakiri? Sepukku? Gee, don't you think that's a tad too harsh. I too was guilty of failing somebody once because I thought he was a bit below par. Later in the week upon reflection as I reviewed the past week's checkrides, I realised that I might have factored in his " seemingly bad attitude " into his failing grade. I had a chat with the Chief Pilot ( Training ) who also advised that that previous check TREs had found this checkee to be a bit " hyper " and unconsciously exhibited " bad attitude " when under stress. I reviewed with the Chief Pilot his performance during the check and after some exhaustive deliberations I conceded that he deserved a poor grade but not a fail. The higher ups ( in coordination with our CAA ) graciously allowed me ( it was still my call ) to amend the grade to a pass and his recheck was cancelled.

The upshot? I felt good for the checkee and myself. The downside? Rumours abound that I was given a huge dressing down by the VPs and chief pilots, that I was summarily sacked. That I was toast, that I grovelled and was given back my post after stern warnings, etc. None of those were true, but well as someone said...cest le vie!