PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory questions
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2012, 17:35
Anders S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you regarding question 3. It's just that as with the case of questions 1 & 2, it's easy to miss corrections, that's why it's seems like a better bet to run it by here, rather than just assume that I'm right and they're wrong.

The fuel dumping questions were:

A:

If the level-off altitude is below the obstacle clearance altitude during a drift down procedure?

a. Fuel jettisoning should be started at the beginning of drift down.
b. The recommended drift down speed should be disregarded and it should be flown at the stall speed plus 10 kt.
c. Fuel jettisoning should be started when the obstacle clearance altitude clearance altitude is reached.
d. The drift down should be flown with flaps in the approach configuration.

B:

During a drift down following engine failure, what would be the correct procedure to follow?

a. Begin fuel jettison immediately, commensurate with having required reserves at destination.
b. Do not commence fuel jettison until en-route obstacles have been cleared.
c. Descend in the approach configuration.
d. Disregard the flight manual and descend at Vs + 10 kts to the destination.

Correct answer for is a. for both questions. Looking at them in hindsight I realize that those are the only reasonable answers, it's just that when I came across them there had been no mention of fuel dumping in the previous chapters that I had read, other than for the purpose of ensuring MSLM, and I suppose that the intention after engine failure is to land as soon as possible, thus fuel dumping should be considered pertinent. However there is no mention in the question of what phase of flight is being referred to, and dumping of fuel doesn't seem to be advisory unless absolutely necessary. What had been brought to attention in the previous chapter however, was the use of drift down profile graphs, where one was to determine if the desired altitude, with regard to obstacle clearance, could be met with the current mass, and if not, (to my understanding) a second graph should be used to determine whether or not vertical clearance could be achieved using horisontal distance instead. Thus the reason for my inquery.

You are however absolutely right, Keith, it definately seems like a better idea, if need be, to dump some fuel rather than run in to a mountain top.

Cheers
Anders