PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jack Tramiel RIP
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2012, 12:14
MacBoero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came into computing slightly after that. My first program's were written in Basic, but typed into a teletype terminal connected by acoustic cup modem to the nearest college, that had a mainframe. Output was only to printed paper, and programs could be listed to punched paper tape for reloading later.

For small edits, there was a clear Perspex block with indexing pins and guide holes, so you could use a tool to punch individual holes into tape to correct errors. Splicing a small piece containing a single line of code into a longer piece holding the rest of the program was common practice.

After that it was Research Machines Link 480Z machines connected by something called Thin-net to a Link 380Z acting as a file/print server. No hard disks, the 380Z had twin 8" floppy drives, one containing executables for itself and the 480Z's, the other containing students' projects.

At home I also started with a Sinclair ZX-81, followed by Atari 600XL and 130XE, with tape drive, floppy drive and printer.

Built my first PC in about 1988, 286 at 12MHz... Wow! I had a few hand-me-down PCs after that.

Went onto Macs after that jelly mould iMac, then PowerBook G4, now MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone.

It still astounds the level of changes, and I work with this stuff everyday!