PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sooo, You Want to Fly for Korean Airlines Do You?
Old 7th Apr 2012, 16:50
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Direct, not quite true. I worked for China Air and KE. Both airlines cut my salary when times were tight for them, both times ignoring my contract which was held by an agent. Because it was an agent contract they knew I would have to sue the agent, not them, for redress. Impossible to do.
I left CI because of the cut (and also a change in Base, which would cost me a lot more).

After a year at KE they cut the foreign pilot salaries for 12 months by 10 percent, leaving the local salaries alone. In fact they gave the locals a bonus that year and then gave them a substantial increase the following year. In that year also they cut the foreign pilot salaries on the 744 (which was what I was flying of course!) again for around 6 months, by about 8 percent. Again no redress.

I would safely say that the word of any of the Asian carriers (except for SQ? I also worked for them and have no complaints there) is worthless. If you get what they said you would get, days off or money, you are lucky.

I would not assume that they will cheat you, mostly they don't, but you have no recourse if they do.

They lost a perfectly serviceable MD11 the same year, pilot error and another in Guam two years previously, again pilot error (Plane Crashes and Significant Safety Events Since 1970 for Korean Air). As well as other accidents not involving passengers so not showing in the stats.

Last edited by boofhead; 7th Apr 2012 at 17:09.