PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air controller during emergency landing: 'I know that's BS'
Old 7th Apr 2012, 03:43
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm, let's see. Smoke in the cockpit to the extent passengers can see smoke in the cabin during the landing. High workload environment in snowy conditions. Recall items most likely include donning masks/goggles first and foremost, establishing interphone comm, etc. Got the aircraft on the ground with a subsequent evacuation.

Made the emergency call that was possibly fainter, broken, or odder-sounding due to a mask mic instead of a boom, which led the controller to suspect a phantom transmission. I'm not aware of any "Smoke in Cockpit" Emergency checklist that first doesn't begin with donning masks immediately, so all intercrew communication is also rendered more difficult.

Sorry it doesn't work this way in dummy America...

PM: "Excuse me Commander, whilst you may want or need my assistance during the last few moments of final approach and landing this aircraft we can barely see out of, I must at once divest myself of my duties coordinating with you or executing procedures that remain of favor of placing an absolutely correct radiotelephone transmission."

PF: I told you already, I have the aircraft and the radios and the emergency call has been made. Are the Phase 1 items complete? Has the cabin been advised we'll be evacuating and unless otherwise advised, through the main door? Before Landing Checklist please."

PM: Excuse me Suh, but I couldn't help but notice your R/T phraseology was NOT ICAO-standahd and it is imcumbent upon me to call this to your attention.

PF: Help me fly this plane to get it on the ground and stopped. Standard callouts please, and be ready with the Evacuation Checklist. Man, there's a lot of smoke here. Jeezuz, where's your mask?

PM: (cough, hack) But SUH, the R/TEEEE!

Funny how this crew was dealt a last minute emergency that detrimentally affects both the ability to see to fly and to communication between crewmembers and controllers, in less than optimum weather conditions, landed the aircraft safely with a subsequent evacuation, but are dogpiled on by armchair nitpickers who probably never got closer to a real emergency than their last sim session....

Insctr: Well done lads. There were problems but it was more than made of for by your brilliant R/T. In the event your CVR is ever extracted from a smoking hole, that, combined with the ATC tapes will render your reputations intact and even somewhat burnished on PPRUNE. I dare say, that Pan you issued was spot on it. Sterling!

Nigel 1: Thank you Suh, we've worked hard to become so.

Nigel 2: Extremely, Suh, extremely.

Insctr: And remember fellows, Comminicate, comminicate, aviate. Ta ta.