PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2012, 12:00
StallsandSpins

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
frigate bird,

The parasol is a Westland Widgeon (vh UHU) built in 1924. at the time it was owned by the Whittaker bros from somewhere up in country Victoria. (i think) at the time it was the oldest registered aircraft in Australia and it remained so until they sold it to Drage Airworld in the late 80's and it went off the register.

It was exactly the same type of aircraft as the kookaburra which went missing looking for kings-ford smith back in the 20's. Dick smith (the same dick smith) went on an expedition to find the kookaburra back in the 80's. i also believe he purchased vh uhu when the drage collection was sold off in the early 90's. i don't know if it is airworthy or not but it still exists. i remember climbing inside the thing when it was on display at drages as a kid, it was a very primitive aircraft but as my grandfather said "thats all they had to make do with in those days"...

i think the photo above was taken around 1974 - 75 when they had the 50th anniversaray of the tiger moth airshow at Casey. (long before my time). The photos belong to my grandfather who used to run Casey for many years. there are heaps of great photos and i am slowly scanning them all. i'll post some more soon