PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain 'subdued' aboard JetBlue flight
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 22:00
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I have a bee in my bonnet about airport security, but someone trying to break into the flight deck, and, according to the FO as it was reported, this chap almost managed it.

The US administration has just announced they are vitually shutting down the armed pilot scheme, and with so few air marshals, there will be little available on board the airplanes to protect them from anybody who is determined to take over the airplane.

The argument is that with locked cockpit doors, and the 100 percent effective airport security in operation, there is no need to maintain the program.

Of course, in this case, the captain might have been the armed pilot so there is no standard answer, but to my mind it highlights the futility of the airport security. There have been a few incidents lately on the airplanes, and none of them were prevented, or could have been prevented, by airport security. If we put all our trust is a program that does not work, has never worked, and can never work, we are all out of our collective minds.

Bravo to the FO in this case, he responded well to the threat, and more importantly, he recognised the threat in time.