PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 08:40
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't read the thread as the standard bleet by their lordships is we couldn't retake the Falklands today.

Do they mean that if the status quo ante bellum exisited, ie we only had a couple of dozen RM in Stanley and Argentina staged the 1982 invasion today . . . ?

Or that Argentina stages an invasion today and captures the islands, ie the RAF and Army are defeated in their defence, the air bridge failed, and the invasion was successful?

Which leads me on to a question. While it is true that HM Forces of 2012 are not the same shape that they were in 1982 - they have modern long range well armed interceptors, highly effective fighter bombers, modern highly capable destroyers, battle hardened troops etc etc, just no carriers - what of the potential agressor?

A NATO partner, exercised with other countries including the US and in the Gulf but no carrier, 2 submarines, fewer surface combatants. A reasonable number of modern aircraft but numbers down?

It strikes me that our lordships are beating a holed drum trying to prepare to refight a war of 30 years ago.