PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-8F - does it match the hype?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2012, 01:20
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The approach logic has been changed to something called Integrated Approach Navigation (IAN). What this means is that as long as an approach is in the FMC, all you have to do is select APPROACH and you are basically flying an ILS regardless of whether it is LNAV/VNAV, ILS, VOR or whatever. RNP scales appear on the PFD to show you where you are in relation to lateral and vertical profiles. Sounds complex but it makes life easier. There is a brand new radar which you basically leave in AUTO and it does everything for you.
My experience of IAN (albeit in a 737 NG) has 99% of the time been good. However it can kill you as I am sure you are aware. It is only as good as the database provided. If it is wrong then all bets are off. I would never rely on it as a stand alone system. Every time the database is changed there is the potential for errors.

The auto function on the wx radar may be great on this new aircraft. On our old 73 NG's I find it to be very good in clb and crz but hopeless in descent - in descent the ground returns obscure potential wx hazards so I have to switch to manual tilt.

Regards
Exeng