PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decca 424 Airfield Radar
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 08:31
Mooncrest

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Aha, now I understand the "Steeleye Span " query. My adoption of the "Mooncrest" moniker is from the record label of the same name but specifically from a copy of "Snoopy versus The Red Baron" by The Hotshots which I bought near EGCC.

It appears that many airfields were operating at least two radar heads simultaneously, one for general surveillance and one for SRAs until the early eighties at least. Reading between the lines it seems to have taken some years for Approach units generally to gain an SSR capability, albeit fed in from a remote NATS/CAA site. In fact, this is still the case at EGNM. Beats me why the then airport management didn't buy a complete primary and secondary Watchman package back in '89. How does EGCC provide an Approach Radar service when the Watchman is on maintenance, bearing in mind the primary and secondary heads are co-mounted ?

A question for you Zooker. What is a Mediator suite ? I've heard the word "Mediator" used in ATC circles several times but have never known what it meant. I always guessed it was something to do with the ATC telephone tie-line network but otherwise I haven't a clue.