PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2012, 14:17
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
captplaystation:

aterpster,

I don't know if you try to be so abrasive as part of your internet "persona", or if you really are so bitter & blinkered, I hope, for you too, it is the former.

In the 1st instance,I have to agree wholeheartedly that this approach was so royally screwed up, that I cannot fathom anyone with experience somehow thinking they could get away with it.

On the other hand, I find it difficult to believe that the PIC truly wished to end his life, in a smouldering heap, off the end of a runway in the god forsaken hole that he was forced to seek work.
I have never suggested he willfully murdered all aboard. What I did suggest is criminal negligence. There is a legal distinction there. I said the same about the Air Blue captain.

This captain was flying an advanced airplane on a nice day that is capable of flying the DME ARC onto the ILS quite easy. But, not only did he screw that up (rather than using the boards sooner or perhaps a 360 prior to entering the DME ARC) he was operating into a familiar, company-imposed "special quals" airport where being on speed and touching down in the company-designated TDZ was crucial. I don't consider a guy like this a fellow pilot.

Again, I feel sorry for the cultural environment that kept a competent F/O from taking over when they are still aloft well beyond the TDZ. That cultural environment was exacerbated by a berating captain.
Sure there are human-factors; there are always human-factors in every incident or accident. But, human-factors does not equate to a "get out of jail free card."

If I am considered abbrasive becuase of my profound comptempt for this captain, then color me abbrasive.

Last edited by aterpster; 24th Feb 2012 at 16:41. Reason: correct spelling for "still"