PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has your UK CAA I/R lapsed by more than 7/6/3 years?
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 23:46
88inches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just been burned by this "7 year " rule. Having just completed a JAR LPC renewal to convert my UK national ATPL to a UK JAR ATPL following lengthy conversations with CAA regarding the renewal requirements I was stunned when the gentleman at the 'same day' service desk at Gatwick refused my application.
What really peeves me is that with all the discussion regarding the date of my last LPC which was more than 5 years ago on my UK licence and having been reassured (by CAA) that the same type rating on my ICAO licence expired less than 5 years meant that I just needed to complete a JAR LPC renewal To renew/convert my licence - not once did the "helpful" CAA rep mention or suggest that the date of my last IR Renewal might be an issue.
I am now several thousand out of pocket with no licence to show for it.
I dont have a problem with rules but for god sake surely the CAA have some obligation to advise their licence holders of significant changes like this.
I checked again today on the CAA website and there is NO mention of this in the FAQ section of FCL Renewal, all it talks about is the 5 year rule for the type rating.
BTW I was advised by the "helpful" chap in Gatwick that I now need to resit 7 exams and carry out a IR flight test under CAA supervision to regain my ATPL.
The 7 year rule in question is described in LASORS section E Page 7.
There is no suggestion or reference to this rule in LASORS section F which deals with licence renewal.
Unbelievable......