PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Cadet Contracts
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2012, 21:32
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why, indeed, would an experienced Airbus pilot pay CTC? The answer, as you rightly say, is that he should not. The Harrier pilot, on the other hand, would have to pay the training organisation because he cannot fly an Airbus. My point is that there is no commercial reason for exempting him from that cost if you're going to charge less experienced pilots for that rating
AdM,

So we should be comparing the two people who can't fly an Airbus no?

The 200 hour guy with access to 120k and the ex FJ mate.

The ex FJ mate will not get a sniff because the 200 hour guy is going to give you a lot of money.

I'll ask you again - Would you rather be sitting next to a guy who has a lot of flying experience, who has been under severe pressure (especially whilst airborne) and who is capable and adaptable and won't need to be pampered by restrictive SOPs or the guy who is only able to fly and operate the aircraft by following those extremely restrictive SOPs whilst being under extreme financial pressure to such an extent he is turning up unfit to fly?

I've flown with both types and I can say categorically that when the wheels fall off I'd rather be sitting next to the first fella.

I take it that you believe there is a good commercial argument to ignore good skill and experience?

Your point about failing to become CR on a frontline squadron is, I would say, not entirely accurate. Basic talent is required to get as far as a frontline squadron. Failing to become CR is an indication that they may have reached their ultimate limit of ability which far exceeds any 'basic talent'. Generally these guys will be sent to rotary of heavies implying that they are in posession of at least the basics! Granted though that they may be the odd one such as you describe.