PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I mad?
Thread: Am I mad?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2012, 15:15
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There will be a few "negative posts", specially when such lies like the 6000 a month for an instructor as the worst case scenario.

I would believe there would be some anger from the community towards such a school that would give you such information, not towards you, to be honest you could probably not know better at that moment.

However visiting some of the other places in these forums like Terms and Endearment, where you will very easy get an idea of the conditions faced pilots today.

Having friends who have done the US route, it is honestly not going to help your with regards to CPL etc., for PPL it could be a good idea, because you might get it cheaper and faster over there. However CPL / IR from US has to be converted in Europe, before you can fly commercially in Europe. So you will need to do the whole ATPL process again, and my friend who was similar age, spent much more time on his conversion, he might as well have skipped all the US training, because he did not save much in the end, if any at all.

With US CPL licence, you can only fly US registered aircraft, and they are hard to find in Europe/UK - at least where somebody with low experience will be able to get work with.

You should not take some of the attacks personally at you, you asked for answers, and most people have been very honest with their answers to you, without decorating it.

Myself I completed my training, spent the money for training, had a young family, but also had a small business I was able run at the same time. So it depends very much on your personal circumstances. I had the money, it has been hard times, but I have no regrets of doing it! Sure I could have probably have spent the money on something more fun, and had less worries over those years, and the years to come - but if we don't try we will never know.

I do agree that maybe you should have felt a small alarm bell when the figure 6000 a month as an instructor was mentioned, I mean if you look around in today's society, there are not many jobs that will pay you that kind of salary!

I do not feel any sympathy for a school who have told you this, and it would be fair to warn other's about what school this is, because to be honest it is some of the biggest BS I have heard.

It is very much a closed shop at the moment to get in, unless you have money to pay your way inside, it is the part many of us dislike, specially us standing on the outside!

Now where did you get the figure 100K from?
Your figures seems to becoming from out of a lottery bowl! You are looking at half of that amount, from zero to hero, probably 65K if you include TR.

Enjoy your PPL and some GA flying first, a friend of mine over 50, did CPL and FIC - chose not to do his IR, and does instructing when he can for the fun of it. So there are many ways into aviation, but regardless of any of this, would be class 1 medical before you think any further and then your PPL.