PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malev goes bust!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 16:56
stuckgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The industry, both from an employment, & customer experience point of view, has been "changed" irrevocably due to Ryan /Easy/Wizz.
I would add to that Cptplaystation, that EU actions have also changed the inudstry 'irrevocably'. EASA is mess and over regulates in some areas, yet in others, like the FTL's under regulates. it's like a propsal to do the largest amount of damage to the industry it can with regulation.

I won't even begin to mention the EU-ETS.

Then the EU, sees fit to provide taxpayer cash in the form of subsidies to Ryanair, making it a harder environment for other carriers (meanwhile FR drives a race to the bottom for T&C's and other airlines follow in order to remain competetive without such subsidies:

French newspapers recently cited figures ranging between €35 million for France alone, and €660 million across the EU, as the value to Ryanair of the subsidies it receives
Air Berlin's Head of Operations for Spain and Portugal has hit out at the subsidies granted by the various regional authorities to Ryanair, which he says "eliminates competition and pomotes blackmail."
etc etc ad nauseum.

The whole of the EU, for aircraft operators is going to hell in a handcart, as AoC's get terminated, and there will be more, it remains an unattractive region for anyone to enter into the market with margins and yields cut to the bone and ever increasing requirements, i can't see any reason why investment capital (if there was any in the EU market place anyway) would contend with the market.

And the lack of capital funding, due to the debt problems of the EU makes the market place even harder still.

Until politicians actually promote and support the industry rather than take punitive action against it we will continue to watch our industry decend further into the gutter, possibly even down the drain. To the detriment of locval, regional and national economies as well the jobs it provides both directly and indirectly.