PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion: thread Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2012, 08:51
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
As we will be part of a National Police Air Service, in theory we could be called upon to operate in any part of the nation.

May I be the first to offer my services to the workshop that will be responsible for sourcing a training establishment for the mountain rating course.

I have already completed some research and my initial thoughts would be Switzerland or Austria, however I believe Canada & California should also be on the list of places to visit, before settling for Scotland

What will be the effect of the introduction of the mountain rating?
The EU regulations introduce a Mountain Rating, to replace the national rating that already exists in Switzerland and elsewhere. This will be granted on completion of an approved course on taking off and landing in mountainous regions. The effect of this in the future will be that pilots will not be able to take-off or land in mountainous areas with EASA aircraft unless they have a mountain rating. The rating will not be mandatory until 8th April 2015. Implementation of this rating in the UK is not a priority. Holders of EASA Part-FCL licences will be able to take courses in other EU States to obtain this rating.

FAQ Answer | EASA | Safety Regulation