PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Flight LHR - GLA Returned due to both pilots becoming lightheaded and dizzy
Old 9th Jan 2012, 03:46
dns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my interpretation (I am BA cabin crew).

As everyone has said, the alert call made was bog-standard for any non-normal situation (be it tech fault, pilot incap, diversion for any reason). Never known a BA captain to panic myself... PA would have been made through the built in mic on the EROS mask so would have sounded a little different to normal.

As for the crew taking the oxygen bottle to the flight deck, well that's not a formal procedure, but likely just a precaution taken. Afterall, they're stowed above the crew seats right outside the flight deck door, I'd probably grab one myself in that situation. Quite possibly the crew member was feeling a bit light-headed themselves and put 2 and 2 together. Might sound a bit pointless when there are the EROS masks on the f/d, but in the case of pilot incap, we're trained to use the portable bottles (it makes it easier to move them if necessary and it allows us to see if they've vomited etc)

All in all, it sounds like a minor decompression/fume event. From all accounts handled correctly by the crew.