PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My first aircraft - the ferrying of my old Aero Commander twin back to California.
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 16:10
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments!

I'm not at all qualified to comment or give advice and you're maybe exaggerating for "artistic" reasons
Well, I am in the film business after all.... It was pretty bad, but fully legal as I was checking the AWOS's along the way. And when I look at what the guys and girls in Flying Wild Alaska fly around in, then all of a sudden it wasn't so bad in comparison... But scud running is bad practice, for sure.

I wasn't under extreme time pressure to get there and I also kept going just beyond the next airport, fully ready to turn back if it deteriorated further. But it stayed pretty consistent - hazy and rainy and moist, but not trending downwards as I went along. So I kept going. Even though it was at the very limit of what I felt comfortable with. The main interstate road helped enormously for gaging visibility, plus it added the safety if an emergency had to be attempted. And - no towers or aerials get built in the middle of the road...

But it's def put my instrument rating on the fast track and I've just started the ground school now. Will do it in the Commander, even though it's a pain with just one VOR/GS, no DME, no second VOR, no ADF. Thankfully the old GNC 300XL gps can serve as a DME and kind of "virtual VOR".

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 3rd Jan 2012 at 19:15.