PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I stay or should I go ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2011, 19:43
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by brutale
redsnail... do you think that is stupid to go for this career without having plan B... because I still dont have a degree... I have 2 years of business and economics.. but no degree yet..
I have two degrees and a CPL, although won't claim to have RedSnail's levels of air transport experience, and despite having had great benefits from my degrees I'm cynical about the benefits of a degree to everybody.

However, it's a poor job market at the moment, and if you walk away after 2 years of a 3 year degree, you'll never be able to use that as a qualification - as well as the final year generally being the most fun bit. Also, how much chance has anybody who walked out of a degree course got of borrowing the very substantial sums of money required for an ATPL course?

Frankly, I'd finish the degree, use your first graduate job to fund your PPL - without which you really have no idea if you enjoy and have an aptitude for flying or not, then decide what to do after that.

Finally however, there will always be jobs in flying - although equally there will also always be more low hour pilots who want jobs than jobs for low hour pilots. So trying to get into the flying job market with some existing income source and without massive debts is almost certainly far more important than getting there quickly.

G