PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Flight LHR - GLA Returned due to both pilots becoming lightheaded and dizzy
Old 25th Dec 2011, 17:49
Skittles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by givemewings
As far as I'm aware, it's because they're used with an artificial airway, which cabin crew are not trained to insert. Perhaps the staff at NHS ARE trained in how to do that.

I know we can attach an O2 bottle to one to supplement, but unless I'm mistaken we do not use the Ambu-bag- at least in my outfit. It might be different in others. I was told that the chances of us messing up an airway far outweigh any disadvantage the person might have from not having one... i.e... if a professional is there, it gets used... if not, well, better not to make things worse!

Gonna go have a check of my manual again, just in case
There's no need for artificial airway when using ambu-bags. It's just a better substitute for the standard masks you may be familiar with using. It allows you to administer near enough 100% oxygen upon ventilation (assuming it's attached to high-flow O2) whereas other methods such as direct mouth to mouth are considerably less efficient. You can use the bag connected to an artificial airway instead of the bag, but you don't need to.

I am not an employee of BA or any other airline - I am NHS - but I would suggest that the reason they're not used it that they can be bloody hard to use. You need at least two people - the seal needs to be maintained around the mouth and nose whilst the compressions are given. That in itself is hard enough. If you're not experienced you'll struggle to get a good seal. Most people need two hands to do this, and as such can't squeeze the bag. Thus, you need another person. This potentially interrupts the compression delivery - which by modern protocol and standards is the 'more important' aspect of CPR.

Another problem is that when people do get a good seal they often squeeze the bag hard - overinflating the lungs, and negating a lot of the benefit of doing it in the first place.

Ultimately with a standard rebreath mask you ensure a good airway and make sure the mask is properly attached etc, wheras the ambu-bag takes an awful lot more knowledge and ability to use effectively.

This is absolutely no criticism of the level of training or ability of airline staff. For (hopefully) such a rare occurrence however, I'd say it's unreasonable to expect them to use something like an ambu-bag.