PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian task group
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2011, 11:43
NutLoose

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,171 Posts
I don't think so, sitigeltfel.....

Back when Gorbachev met Maggie at Brize, some of us were tasked to assist the crews of the 4 Il-62s involved. Mine was the one with the KGB security folk on board, who were whisked off to the Gateway for lunch whilst we sorted out the aircrews' requirements.

On board the jet (with excellent cabin heating, unlike the FunBus), the chief flight attendant asked whether we'd like coffee. We accepted with grateful thanks, whereupon her Rosa Klebb countenance morphed into a friendly prep school matron's smile. From the galley appeared 3 gorgeous little Russian hosties with excellent coffee and some very tasty Russian chocolates. We went out of our way to say how good they were and thanked them - they turned pink and scuttled back to the galley like naughty little schoolgirls.

There was only one rather dubious looking chap on the jet - obviously the KGB aircraft security bloke who sat brooding in the corner in his track suit. But we even got him to smile when I saw the nest of chapka hats in the overhead rack and began stroking and miaowing at them - by then the Russians thought we were completely bonkers.

Eventually the American navigator came on board (the jet was due to land in the US) - rather a petite blonde captain. When we heard excited voices from the rather ursine flight deck crew, I asked our host why the female navigator was such a surprise - "Surely you have female aircrew in your air force?"

"Da, we do - but none like her!"

It was quite a fun day - the spooks went into a fluster when 39 out of 40 KGB in matching raincoats returned from the Gateway. They obviously concluded that the missing man was either defecting or taking photos of the decadent capitalist hotel. But then he appeared all hot and flustered and out of breath. Much barracking from his colleagues, so I queried our host.

"He in lavatory - miss bus. Had to walk!"

Sometimes the obvious reasons are overlooked!
Ahh.. did you get he little tie pin thing off the Russians?

Remember the Antics,

New fuelling unit, connected up, then sample taken to see what additives was in their fuel.. before refuelling.

Standing some of the mature trees up along the main drag with 4 tonners and backfilling and turfing so they all appeared upright and neat...

Towing the hire cars away from outside the terminal, and listening to the bang as all the steering locks sheared.

Removing all the bike stands including the bikes in them.

Resurfacing of the road overnight outside the camp, so his wife could visit the local school (Reminds me of Gut when they did the same for the Queen and she went the other way I believe).

Emptying the local villages dustbins and all the rubbish along the said route as there was a strike on and the rest of the village complaining we hadn't done theirs.

Full rehearsal including meal the day before.

Painting everything......

(Still not as bad as Odious when they shovelled the snow off the road and then sprayed the dirty snow white, so that Prince Charles would see pristine snow as he was whisked through to his flight)........

Ahhh the Bullsh*t, not missed......