PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 15 ton "Big blu"
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 23:17
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re damage assessment, I have now found what I was looking for.

Here is an article where you can download or open a high res photo in Google earth and then look at the photo from near ground level. It is not a true 3D but allows closer inspection of the damage.

Iran missile base post-explosion imagery, now hi-res in Google Earth | Ogle Earth

The file is under this bit of text in the article
Here is the resulting KMZ file

Once in google earth, it is evident
1. Some sides of the base, a bit away from the buildings have an earthen berm around as you can see the scrape marks from the bulldozer.
2. You can still see the scorch marks on the earth. I think the explosion was slightly / 1 building down from my original estimate.
3. Those long rectangular items, trucks or the back end of the trucks for carrying missiles, either in a container or on the back in a launcher.
4. Those long blue buildings, certainly long enough to contain a rocket / missile plus room to take the warhead apart - which is what they were said to be doing in one article.

5. The important one. Even though it is not a true 3D image, luckily the photo was taken with the sun at quite a low angle so you can get an idea via the shadows of the building how much of it is standing and to an extent how intact it is (by how sharp the shadow line is).

Some of the shadows of the buildings show that the roof structures of them are a tangled mess of metal.

Other buildings, such as the one's we all think were at the centre of the explosion create no shadow and so I think no structure to them has been left standing - OR they were bulldozed immediately.

The explosion was heard 25kms away. The White smoke certainly went high enough.

Your thoughts ?