PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2011, 14:16
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if there's anyone reading who is planning on buying an aircraft please make sure that you either purchase it from a reputable supplier or, if that is not possible, recruit a capable consultant (one who can refer you to a string of satisfied clients) to manage the pre-buy survey.

I've always said that I wouldn't let PPRuNe interfere with my day job but this was sufficiently long ago not to impinge on the sensitivities of my often persnickety clients:

PPruNer Savoia, with client from the Middle East in tow, conducts a pre-purchase inspection on a GII SP

Most of the planks I conduct pre-buys on involve a two and a half, sometimes three day, affair that takes in the log books and paperwork (one and a half days), flight testing (half a day) and physical inspection (one day). That is aside from the numerous specially ordered inspections which will already have been performed such as borescopes on the engines, x-rays of critical components etc. etc. (all depending on the condition and type of craft).

Granted, my services are not cheap but .. in return the client gets an iron-clad assurance (through the pre-purchase consulting agreement) in which my business is liable for any recourse arising from dissatisfaction which can be attributed to the quality of the inspection. I do not view my guarantee as a risk but an asset because, so long as you are conversant with what needs to be done, the process (while involved) is pretty straight-forward and clients enjoy the fact the your work comes with an assurance.

Sadly, it is always the few corner-cutting non-professionals (across both the fixed and rotary wing industries) who create bad press and cause unnecessary losses for clients who, if it is their first time buying, can become sufficiently disillusioned so as to give-up altogether.

Moral of the story; stick with reputable professionals in everything you do when it comes to aircraft acquisition (and operation). It may cost more 'up-front' but it will even out in the long run and, crucially, insure you against losses such as those written about in the post above.